Finding campus’ interesting jobs

Freshman+psychology+major+Rachel+Menor+makes+a+smoothie+at+the+smoothie+counter+inside+the+Campus+Recreation+Center.+

Freshman psychology major Rachel Menor makes a smoothie at the smoothie counter inside the Campus Recreation Center.

By Jack Baker

Now that the semester is winding down, and many students are looking for new jobs to start in the spring, these are some of the more interesting on-campus jobs that they should consider in their search.

Event Production Services

Event Production Services is the office on campus that helps put on events at NIU.

“We provide services to the University,” said Josh Tulisiak, a senior art history major that works for EPS. “If no one else can get it, they come to us.”

The student workers are responsible for helping with sound, staging, lighting, ticketing and marketing for many of the events run at the University, said Tulisiak.

“For example, at the beginning of the year we run the Huskie Bash,” Tulisiak said. “We set up the tents, built the stages, and helped out with the sound.”

Tulisiak said that he enjoys working for EPS because they’re able to help many groups on campus put on programs.

Bakery

Most people know of the basic dining jobs available in the residence halls, but they often forget about the bakery.

The bakery is responsible for the cookies, cupcakes, and other desserts available in the dining halls at NIU.

Freshman finance major Mason Bush works for the bakery and said that he scoops cupcakes and cookies, greases pans, and basically does anything needed to help get the desserts made.

Bush said that he enjoys the job because he likes desserts as well as the early morning schedule. Bush said that his shift starts at 6 a.m. and goes until 12:30 p.m. and is one of the few jobs he found for when he didn’t have class.

“It worked around my schedule perfectly because I don’t have any classes before 2,” Bush said. “It’s really what made me able to do it and it’s one of the benefits of the job.”

ResTech

ResTech Computer Technicians help students on campus with computer problems.

“We service the student and staff’s computers and we make sure they’re working,” said Steven Calderwood, a sophomore computer science major who works for ResTech. “If someone brings a computer in with a virus, for example, we are able to fix it and make sure everything is working for them.”

Calderwood said that he enjoys the job because in addition to the working with computers, it provides him an opportunity to help students.

“We try to make sure that when something is too complicated for the average computer user to know, we can give them an easy solution to their problems,” Calderwood said.

Smoothie shop at the Campus Recreation Center

When students get thirsty while working out at the Rec Center, they often stop at the smoothie shop.

Freshman accountancy major Dean Tanglis is one of the students that staff it and said that he enjoys making and selling smoothies.

“Not only am I selling delicious drinks, but I can also get some work done while I’m there,” Tanglis said. He said that the job also gives him the opportunity to try out new combinations and find the best flavors for students.

In addition to smoothies, the student workers also sell Gatorade, water, muscle milk, sandwiches, and an assortment of other foods.