Students taste an ‘International Palette’

By Alex Fiore

The Northern Lights Grill in Grant South felt more like the United Nations cafeteria than a college dining hall last week.

Housing and Dining employees served up an array of global food options from Nov. 10 through Nov. 12 as part of Project RED (Residents Engaging in Diversity), allowing students to sample cuisine from four of the seven continents.

Project RED sponsored “International Palette,” where students got a chance to taste unique food from around the world.

“I wanted to do an event where students could try international food,” said Martise Cooks, Grant North Hall Director and one of the Project RED coordinators.

This dining event was a part of Project RED week, which is an annual event that asks students to have productive dialogue about diversity, said Bianca McGraw, Grant South Hall A Director and Project RED coordinator.

“The purpose [of International Palette] was to provide students with a different cultural flavor that they could eat and enjoy,” McGraw said.

Students were given international options for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

For breakfast, students were given the choices of French breakfast muffins, English muffins and Quiche Lorraine, a French pastry stuffed with cream custard, cheese and egg. Students looking for dessert could try Oliebollen, a Belgian doughnut.

For lunch, students were given a chance to satisfy their taste for Italian. A pasta bar, meatballs, Italian sub sandwich, garlic bread and marinated cheese tortellini salad were all dishes that were served.

Students who wanted to try Asian food could sample hummus and pita or Til ke Aloo, an Indian dish made with potatoes and a variety of seeds.

Not all students were convinced to try the atypical meal options.

“I didn’t want to waste my money on something I might not like,” said freshman business major Larry Chwalisz. “I just wasn’t in the mood to try something different.”

For dinner, an American option was available, but was not the type of food normally available in the dining halls. Students were able to sate their desire for Cajun cuisine with breaded catfish, Chicken Creole and deep-fried okra.

Diners could also try an African chicken and rice casserole, as well as paella, a Spanish dish made with rice, meat, vegetables and spices.

Freshman undecided major Christian Peshek, who tried the Italian options, said he would definitely participate if the event was held again.

“I thought it was delicious,” Peshek said.

Cooks said he worked with the Housing and Dining Office to make International Palette a reality, and wanted to “get students exposed to a palette they’re not used to.”

“I wanted them to step outside their comfort zone,” Cooks said.