Graduates prepare for more schooling

By Alex Fiore

With the semester already halfway over, students are beginning to think about their academic future. For many students, a bachelor’s degree will not be enough.

Luckily for them, the Political Science Student Advisory Committee and Pre-Law Society are sponsoring “Grad School and Law School Night” at 6:30 p.m. Thursday night in DuSable Hall Room 276.

Scot Schraufnagel, assistant professor of political science, will be giving a presentation on graduate school from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Following him will be

Brendon Swedlow, associate professor of political science, giving a presentation on law school from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.

A question and answer session will take place after the presentations, and a panel of graduate and law students will be on hand to discuss their experiences.

“There’s a lot of misinformation and fallacies about what the [graduate school] process looks like,” Schraufnagel said. “People don’t have a full understanding of how important the entry exams and faculty letters are.”

Schraufnagel said he hopes to clear up any confusion of how the graduate school admission process works.

“There’s a lot of good information that I don’t think students have about the process,” Schraufnagel said.

According to the event’s promotional flyer, the professors and panel members will address common topics of discussion such as what graduate school is like, who should apply, how to apply, how to get accepted and much more.

“I don’t think we’ve had anything quite like this before,” Swedlow said. “It’s a way to get some information so [students] can make an informed choice.”

Schraufnagel and Swedlow agree that students should be thinking about graduate school by junior year, but anyone who is interested is welcome to attend.