Passion Pit comes to DeKalb

Passion Pit will perform Thursday at the NIU Convocation Center.

By Troy Doetch

It’s not often that DeKalb gets such a huge musical act, let alone two in a week’s span.

Yet, following behind Drake’s Sunday performance, the critically acclaimed and much-hyped electo-pop quintet Passion Pit will be performing it’s indi-inspired electropop at the Convocation Center on Thursday.

Passion Pit has recently received a slew of commercial success, making it one of the last year’s hottest acts. Most notably, the band’s impulsive and persistent hit, “Sleepyhead,” was released on two separate full-length albums, featured as the jingle for the Motorola Palm Pixi phone, and peaked on the nine spot of Billboard’s Heatseekers chart. Two other singles “The Reeling” and “Little Secrets” climbed through the 30s on Billboard’s Alternative Songs chart. Passion Pit’s most recent album, “Manners” was released in 2009 to critical acclaim from Paste, Filter, and the often-hesitant Pitchfork.

The band is primarily lead by Michael Angelakos, the singer/songwriter who, legend has it, created the entire first album, “Chunks of Change,” on his laptop before joining forces with the Berkley College students Ian Hultquist (keyboards/guitar), Ayad Al Adhamy (synth/samples), Jeff Apruzzese (synth/bass) and Nate Donmoyer (drums). Now a full band, the group still reflects the simplicity and spontaneity of an electronic solo project. Sampled beats are often minimal behind an array of synth melodies, and off-the-cuff lyrics like “they couldn’t think of something to say the day you burst with all their lions, all their might, and all their thirst” could cement a comparison to LCD Soundsystem.

Surprisingly, Hultquist named one of the band’s major influences as the Beach Boys. Though the influence is a difficult one to hear, it could be found in their conventional pop-song construct and melodies. Known for remixes of Smashing Pumpkins and Katy Perry, Passion Pit hopes to cover a Beach Boys song in the future, Hultquist said.

“The way I look at is it’s kind of mainstream indie music. It’s kind of like amalgamated all the different styles of indie and some electronica,” said Garrett Potterton, freshman. “In my mind it’s very mainstream.”

Thursday’s show is a part of the Campus Conciousness Tour, a traveling rock show that doubles as an environmental campaign. The tour, organized by the non-for-profit organization Reverb, hopes to spread a message of environmental consciousness while leaving a minimal environmental footprint. To achieve this, the tour uses biodiesel fuel, CO2 offsets, and recycles.

Tickets are available, ranging from $27.50 to $35.50, with a $5 NIU student discount. The show starts at 7 p.m. with special guests Black Joe Lewis and K. Flay.