Passion Pit hits high notes at Convo

By Troy Doetch

For a band whose biggest hit is entitled “Sleepyhead,” Passion Pit gave an energetic show Thursday night at the Convocation Center.

Glowsticks could be seen waved back and forth, as the crowd danced to consistent beats of synth-fueled dance rock. Fueled by the active crowd, singer, Michael Angelakos, flailed about stage, using the microphone to air-drum between belting obscure lyrics in his uniquely biting falsetto.

“His voice is awesome: the falsetto that he does all the time,” said Sloan Osborn, senior nutritions major. “I’m really jealous.”

Angelakos created the entire first album, “Chunks of Change,” on his laptop before joining forces with the Berkeley College students Ian Hultquist (keyboards/guitar), Ayad Al Adhamy (synth/samples), Jeff Apruzzese (synth/bass) and Nate Donmoyer (drums). However, their stage presence is far from the minimalistic laptop rock of Girl Talk. As many of four synthesizers were played simultaneously and Donmoyer’s live drums compliment textured electronic samples.

“I just started listening to them once we booked the show, and I really like them,” said Heather Priest, marketing manager for the NIU Convocation Center. “It’s kind of an electo/dance/pop/rock and once you start listening you just can’t stop.”

Opening acts, Black Joe Lewis with his shredding blues guitar and K.Flay with her quirky and angsty rap provided an eclectic series of sounds.

The show was a part of the Campus Consciousness Tour, a traveling rock show/environmental campaign organized by the non-for-profit organization Reverb. By using biodiesel fuel, CO2 offsets, and recycling, the tour hopes to spread a message of environmental consciousness while leaving a minimal environmental footprint.

“They’re trying to promote the environment and taking care of the environment so there are recycle bins everywhere for everybody to recycle and to be aware of your environment and your surrounding and take care of it,” Priest said. In addition, a booth sponsored by Rock the Vote asked attendees to pledge to vote.

“We’re going cross country to get to get students to pledge to vote to help build momentum for youth participate in the election to show the world that students are going to come out and vote,” said Michael Kelly, Rock the Vote representative. “This is about getting kids, getting students, getting youth to prove to the rest of the world that they’re going to come out and vote.”