Professors talk Facebook privacy

By Melissa Mastrogiovanni

With the rise of social networking websites like Facebook and Twitter, people forfeit basic privacy rights to gain “friends.” This may leave students vulnerable to not only a damaged reputation, but also online predators and stalking.

“Students should know that whatever they post, whenever they post it, it is completely public information at any time no matter if they take it down,” said Betty La France, associate professor of communication.

Facebook has become a popular background tool because employers can look up potential employees and determine if they are right for a specific job.

“I don’t think young people realize that someday their boss might see what’s on there and that’s something that could come back and haunt them,” said David Gunkel, director of graduate studies in communication.

“Today, any smart employer will Google you once they get your application,” Gunkel said.

Not only can potential employers access private information, but so can coaches and even the police department, said Sabryna Cornish, assistant journalism professor. She also said many students have lost scholarships for posting comprising material on the web.

“Even if you think it’s personal, it’s not. It’s the web, and people can get access to anything if they want it,” Cornish said.

The best way to protect one’s privacy is to keep personal photos, thoughts or conversations private. Also, utilizing various privacy settings and changing passwords periodically can help protect an individual’s privacy.

“Always think before you post,” Gunkel said. “Don’t do anything on the Internet that you wouldn’t do in public because the Internet is a public medium. Don’t put anything online that you wouldn’t scream on a street corner.”

Gunkel went on to say that posting current locations, addresses, or contact information online is not advisable because it could lead to becoming a victim to online-predators or stalking.

Advertisers can also access information through social networks.

“We all think Facebook is free, but we pay for Facebook through our data,” Gunkel said.

Social networking websites can still serve a purpose, but should be used cautiously.

“Facebook is a great social tool, but you really need to be smart about what information you put up,” Cornish said.