Tutoring center offers homework help

By MaryJo Kratochvil

Students who feel lost or stuck with a problem in their class can run over to a tutoring center, located in Grant, Lincoln and Douglas halls, to get help.

Jessica Perfors, supervisor of the Grant tutoring center, said the center offers many programs for students to get the help they need.

“We offer tutoring for a variety of subjects, basically [general education classes], 100 to 200 level that can range from math to Spanish to physics and biology,” Perfors said.

Tutors can help students in many different ways.

“Basically, I just give them examples of the problems that they are going over in their textbook,” said tutor Ben Saville.

Tutor Mike Kang said he guides students to figure out their problem with a subject.

“We ask them if they have any questions, we guide them through any kind of work that they are doing,” Kang said.

Students bring their books, notes and any questions they have when they come to the center for help, he said.

The tutoring centers are open from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. Sunday – Thursday and there are always people willing to help.

“Probably there [are] about six tutors working at Grant per night, this is the bigger one. Douglas and Lincoln probably have five per night,” Perfors said.

Lincoln and Douglas also have tutoring centers located in them with special emphasis in certain subjects.

“Technically, Douglas is the math lab and Lincoln is [for] science,” she said. “We can all do all [subjects], but those are just the emphasis.”

If a student goes to the tutoring center at Grant towers, and the tutors at Grant cannot help them, there are some other options for the student.

“If the class is actually offered by any of the tutors, then we can call over by Douglas and send them over that way,” Kang said. “Or we can recommend that they talk to their [teaching assistants] or their teachers.”

Kang said tutoring center usually sees a big turnout once students realize they need a little extra help achieving the grade they want. Many students go to the tutoring centers around finals week.

“After the first exam and students are panicking, students show up,” Kang said. “Once the grades start dropping, we see a lot of people.”

For more information please see http://www.tutoring.niu.edu/