Mixing, Mingling and Mayhem at the Student Center

By Katie Zak

Interactive comedy comes to the Holmes Student Center today thanks to Off-Campus and Non-Traditional Student Services.

Loren Hecht, an English professor at NIU, will perform at the show, “MIXING, MINGLING, AND MAYHEM.”

“Students who attend the performance should come ready to play games, talk to other students, eat free food and watch a little one woman show,” Hecht said. “Students should come expecting to meet others, and let their guard down in an informal, very human, soulful setting.”

Hecht has been teaching at NIU for 14 years in the English department.

Audrey Barsanti-Gonzalez, student director for Off-Campus and Non-Traditional Student Services, said Hecht was her top choice to run the show.

“I had her last year for class, and she is an outstanding teacher, really well-liked and fun,” Barsanti-Gonzalez said.

The show is aimed toward non-traditional students, but everyone is welcome.

“It’s an interactive comedy night targeting non-traditional students,” she said. “We wanted to have a time where people could get together and get to know each other.”

Hecht said her performance style ranges between funny and serious. She said students should be ready for anything.

“Andy Warhol, in 1968, famously said, ‘In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes.’ ‘MIXING, MINGLING, AND MAYHEM’ is asking that students spend two of their precious 15 at the show,” she said. “Students with a desire to perform will have three different ‘soapbox’ options to choose from.”

Comedy Night will be at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Diversions Lounge at the HSC.