Emotional Healing series helps students

By Ryan Griesmeyer

Students with psychological disorders have a place to look for help.

Tuesdays from 3 to 4:30 p.m. beginning Oct. 5, the Emotional Healing series will be held in the Grant Satellite office. The series is a five-week coping skills series for students.

College psychological disorders have been appearing more and more around college campuses. In the Sept. 2 article “Statistics About College Depression” from psychcentral.com, author Therese Borchard states “one out of every four college students suffer from a form of diagnosable mental illness.”

Shiraz Tata, a psychologist in the Counseling and Student Development Center, said there are more stressors in terms of juggling work and school and relationships. Also, some of the statistics may reflect the fact that more people are telling that they are struggling more now than before.

“There is not as much social support at times with everyone being so busy with everything,” Tata said.

Last year, 1,200 students visited counselors and between 6,000 to 7,000 appointments were made.

Jessica Stroup, senior health sciences major, said she did not know about the counselors until her junior year.

“A lot of students don’t realize that it is free,” Tata said. “You are only charged if you miss an appointment without calling in and canceling.”

Jonathan David-Jackson, sophomore journalism major, dealt with depression last year after the death of his grandmother.

“I talked a lot with my family, we worked through [the depression] together,” David-Jakson said.

Stroup said she has felt overwhelmed and also used talking as well as being involved as a way to help.

“Last year first semester, I was extremely overwhelmed with school and other things and in the process with getting involved with groups that had a lot of requirements I had to fill,” she said. “My parents were a big help, and friends.”

Tata said students can talk to a neutral person in a safe space and all conversations are confidential.

“Depression is very treatable,” Tata said. “Talking can help one see things in a different way and help through the pain.”