Campus blotter for 09-20-10

By Northern Star Staff

The following was taken from the University Police. Anyone mentioned is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The University Police Department provides police reports on the Web at finfacil.niu.edu/PublicSafety.

THURSDAY

• An officer was dispatched to Stevenson North on a report of a domestic disturbance. People outside of the room heard sounds of fighting. After questioning parties involved, the officer arrested one person for domestic battery and transported him to DeKalb County Jail.

• A report was received of a domestic disturbance at Lincoln Hall. A boyfriend and girlfriend admitted to a verbal altercation that led to minor physical contact. No injuries were visible and no complaint was filed. Case is cleared for refusal to cooperate, and a referral to the Office of Community Standards & Student Conduct was made.

FRIDAY

• An officer assigned to the alcohol enforcement detail patrol was on foot patrol of Greenbrier Road when he observed a female carrying a can of Busch Light while walking on the sidewalk. While speaking with the female, officer confirmed she was underage. Case is cleared with a verbal warning.

• An officer assigned to the alcohol enforcement detail patrol was on foot patrol of Greenbrier Road when he observed a female carrying a can of Keystone Light while walking on the sidewalk. While speaking with the female, officer confirmed she was underage. Case is cleared with a referral to the Office of Community Standards & Student Conduct.

• An officer was en route to Douglas Hall C-wing to conduct follow up on a previous case. The officer found a female sitting on the stairs in the hallway in front of the crash emergency doors. Upon observing and speaking with the female, the officer was able to cofirm the female had been consuming alcoholic beverages and that she was in possession of a 40 oz. bottle of beer.

• An officer on a lot check observed a black Ninja motorcycle on its side. Upon speaking with the owner and evaluating the damage to the bike, it was determined to be criminal damage to property. Owner left bike standing up at 6:30 p.m. Pending any further leads, case is administratively closed.

• A complainant reported that person(s) without her permission took $100 from her wallet while she was showering between the hours of 11:10 and 11:30 a.m. Pending further leads, case is administratively closed.

• Victim reported that he received several phone calls from an offender. Victim reported he started receiving obscene calls at about 3 p.m. Case remains open pending investigation.

SATURDAY

• Officer was dispatched to the sixth floor of Grant Towers South to speak with the community adviser about the smell of cannabis on the floor. Upon his arrival to the sixth floor of B-tower, the officer could smell the odor of cannabis. Upon isolating the origin of the odor, the officer made contact with the room owner. The suspected offender admitted to smoking cannabis in his room and being in possession of cannabis. Case is cleared for refusal to cooperate and a referral to the Office of Community Standards & Student Conduct.

• While conducting traffic enforcement, an officer observed a white Chrysler 300 speeding down Grant Drive east. The officer followed the vehicle and initiated a traffic stop. The driver did not stop until he entered Crane Drive at which point he stopped his vehicle then abandoned it. The vehicle was towed and further investigating led officers to the residence where the driver was hiding. Driver was arrested for obstructing justice. It was discovered the driver had three active warrants. Driver admitted to knowing he had warrants, and that was why he ran. Driver was transported to DeKalb County Jail.

• An officer on patrol in Central Park area observed two males sitting on the stone wall. He noticed the odor of cannabis. Arrival to the spot where the two were sitting, the odor of cannabis became stronger. During the officers’ conversation, they admitted to smoking cannabis and turned over their remaining cannabis. He informed the two that he would be referring them to the NIU Office of Community Standards & Student Conduct. Case is closed on refusal to cooperate.

• An officer walking along Grant Drive east noticed a male subject with a bookbag approaching. Upon further investigation, the individual admitted to being in possession of alcohol. Individual was given a verbal warning. Case is closed on refusal to cooperate.

• While on random patrol of Stevenson North Tower, an officer observed the odor of cannabis near the D elevator lobby. Further investigation led to the conversation with individuals who had just finished smoking cannabis. Due to them not being in possession of cannabis, case is closed unfounded.