Leader’s Corner with Marlon Haywood

NIU alumnus Marlon Haywood is the Graduate Hall Director for Neptune East.

By Ryan Chambers

You see them around campus, but who are our student leaders? Every Friday, Leader’s Corner gives readers a glimpse into the personalities of the men and women behind the suits and ties.

This week the Northern Star sat down with Marlon Haywood, the Graduate Hall Director of Neptune East and arguably one of the most productive student leaders to attend NIU in this decade.

Q: So Marlon, can you tell us a little bit about your upbringing?

A: Well, I grew up on 67th Street in the south side of Chicago, the Englewood area and lived there all my life with my grandmother. As a kid, I was always very involved. I went to church with my grandmother and was always involved through that. I also did a lot of traveling.

Q: So what do you have going on nowadays since graduation?

A: I am currently the Graduate Hall Director of Neptune East. I make sure student conduct is followed, or if something breaks such as a TV or a light bulb, I am in charge of fixing it. Basically, I make sure everything in Neptune East runs smoothly.

Q: Most people on campus know and remember you as the man responsible for all the major events at in NIU the past few years, but now that you have graduated, how does it feel to be some what of a mentor for the new generation of aspiring student leaders?

A: It helps me validate my job. When you see people coming in wanting to do different things and become involved, but not really knowing how to get started, it feels good to help them out. That’s what makes your job worth it, when you can see these people and help these new students become student leaders.

Q: Lets talk basketball for a moment, what are your thoughts on the Miami Heat and this upcoming NBA season?

A: I feel like the Heat are a cop out. Michael Jordan never joined forces with Larry Bird or Magic Johnson. They got it done with what they had, and I think that shows the mentality of today’s basketball players. I hope they [Miami Heat] make it to the finals, then lose to the Lakers.

Q: So what music are you listening to right now?

A: I listen to all kinds of music. I’ve found myself listening to a lot of 80’s and 90’s music. I play a lot of Michael Jackson and if it is rap, Kanye West’s “Power” is on repeat.

Q: Any final shout outs?

A: I thought Fall Fest was very successful this year, so I definitely want to give a shout out to those who helped put that together.