Huskie Briefs: September 28

By Andrew Singer

The NIU women’s basketball team is looking for some male NIU students to practice with the team. Practice players must be full time students and have a minimum GPA of 2.5. Anyone interested should contact assistant women’s basketball coach E.C. Hill at 815-753-0586.

Over the weekend, the NIU women’s tennis team collected seven wins at the 2010 UNI Invitational. Sophomore Kelly Phillips and freshman Haley Dekkinga combined for four of the NIU victories. Next up for the Huskies is the UIC Invitational in Chicago this weekend.

Unable to get past the second day of competition, the NIU men’s tennis team succumbed to injuries at the Ball State Invitational last Saturday. NIU’s last remaining doubles participants were knocked out when the team of Maksym Bartiuk and Maksym Lagutin bowed out in the quarterfinals. Bryant Poggensee-Wei stood as the only singles player remaining on Saturday and saw the end of his weekend in consolation play.

Last Saturday, the NIU cross country team finished 28th at the 25th Annual Roy Griak Invitational, a competition that featured nine nationally ranked schools. Sophomore Courtney Oldenburg once again led the way for the Huskies, finishing 98th overall, first among NIU runners in the 6K with a time of 22:48.6. The Invitational marked the third straight competition Oldenburg has finished first for NIU.