New look for Faraday Lecture Halls

By Jalen Cobb

Faraday Hall went under the knife this summer.

The on-campus building received technological renovations in the form of interactive monitors, digital document cameras and other learning tools.

This state of-the-art renewal has been in the works for a while, said Eddie Williams, executive vice president of finance and facilities and chief of operations,

“These Faraday lecture halls…[now include] additions such as the SMART Sympodium interactive monitors, digital document cameras and high resolution projectors, particularly when combined with updated software such as Blackboard, is impressively high,” Williams said.

Faraday Hall, which was constructed in 1963, hadn’t received a makeover since its construction, he said.

These lecture halls are home to many classes and are a familiar place to students who take science courses to complete a general education requirement.

Before the renovation, Faraday lecture halls were very cramped and students were limited to space, said sophomore nursing major Haley Fredrickson.

“I like it better because there’s more room, but I still think its too tight,” Fredrickson said.

Elizabeth Smith, sophomore pre-physical therapy major, said while waiting outside of one of the newly revamped halls that she thinks they seem a lot roomier.

“It is worth noting that the newly installed seating is about 25 percent wider and more comfortable/softer than the old wooden seating with much larger tablet arms for easier note taking, use of laptop computers, etc.,” Williams said.

These are not the only changes that students can see on campus.

“The current focus is on the renovation of Cole Hall and on the planned renovation of Stevens Hall,” Williams said. “Each of these renovations will include newly renovated smart classrooms, and some truly state of the art classrooms and lecture halls.”

This project was just some of the steps NIU President John Peters is taking to make NIU more attractive, Williams said.

“This project is certainly pursuant to President Peters’ deep concern and commitment to students and the learning environment available to them,” he said.