SA holds meeting for senate elections

Pat+Talley%2C+speaker+of+the+Student+Association+Senate%2C+discusses+the+requirements+at+a+mandatory+meeting+for+incoming+students+Tuesday+evening+in+the+Holmes+Student+Center+Heritage+Room.+

Pat Talley, speaker of the Student Association Senate, discusses the requirements at a mandatory meeting for incoming students Tuesday evening in the Holmes Student Center Heritage Room.

By Jacqueline Evans

The Student Association held a meeting in the Holmes Student Center Heritage Room at 6 p.m. Tuesday for students interested in running in the upcoming senate elections.

“[The meeting] informed students about the application and election process and general Student Association information,” said Election Commissioner Patrick Frierson, who went over a packet containing an election checklist and agreement, election policy and bylaws, as well as an agreement for a background check.

“We had an excellent turnout this year,” said Speaker of the Senate Patrick Talley.

84 students attended the meeting and SA President Erik Calmeyer and other executive board members of the Student Association were present.

“We publicized the meeting hard this year,” said Deldric Henderson, former district one senator and current director of organizational development. “Students are interested in getting involved on campus.”

Henderson said students should take advantage of all the SA has to offer.

“Students should monopolize on the great opportunity that the Student Association provides,” he said.

Sophomore Jathia Macklin said she was pleased with the information provided.

“The meeting was quick, fast and informative,” Macklin said. “After today, I will consider running and I am very enthusiastic about it.”

According to the packets provided at the meeting, students who run for any Senate position must have at least a 2.0 G.P.A., be enrolled in at least nine credit hours, and pass a criminal background check.

“It [the Student Association] provides a real world experience for students looking to get involved,” said President Pro Tempore Ryan Smith.