BSU bring’s back NIU’s “Lifeline” magazine

By Katie Zak

The Black Student Union will revive an on-campus magazine starting in September.

Lifeline magazine was last published in 2006 and will be brought back to NIU with the help of several members of the BSU.

“The first issue will be a trial issue,” said Deldric Henderson, junior political science major and president of the BSU. “It’ll be a monthly publication.”

Six issues will be published during the school year and 750 copies will be printed and distributed for free to students.

“We don’t want to do too much too early,” Henderson said. “We hope to expand. We want to see the response on campus.”

Ryan Chambers, junior journalism major and editor-in-chief of Lifeline magazine, said the objective of the magazine is to bring personality to NIU.

“There are a lot of new people at NIU,” Chambers said. “We’re all trying to work together to bring NIU back to the school that people want to come visit.”

The magazine is an outlet for African American students to be recognized for accomplishments and achievements.

In addition, Lifeline will also be geared towards providing students with information about NIU.

“[Lifeline magazine] will focus on introducing students to NIU and the different organizations on campus,” said Rickey Layfield, junior political science major. “The first issue will have an NIU survival page and have introductions to some of the faculty and leaders around NIU.”

The BSU will pay for the magazine with their budget. The organization is funded by the Student Association.

Students collaborate to create ideas and stories for the magazine.

“We have editors and a writing staff that will cover different stories,” Henderson said.

The organization plans on extending writing positions to additional people.

“It’s not just for African American students,” Henderson said. “We definitely want to open it up to the university.”

Layfield explained that the magazine will send a deeper message to the students.

“There’s always a way to do something on campus,” Layfield said. “The magazine has been gone for so long, and we got the power to make it come back. Anything is possible.”

EDITOR’S NOTE: Ryan Chambers is an employee of the Northern Star.