New SA speaker of the senate is named

By JAMES TSCHIRHART

The Student Association met Sunday for its second-to-last meeting with a sum of nearly $31,000 left in its budget for supplemental funding.

Attending the meeting were 25 of the 39 senators to give supplemental funding to the NIU Veterans Club, approve three student organizations and elect a new speaker of the senate.

The Veterans Club received funding for a conference some of its members are currently attending. The lateness of the funding was because of a mishandling of paperwork for the club’s request.

“In terms of being able to allocate funding, we can do it retroactively, so everything’s been worked out for that,” said Matthew Venaas, Speaker of the Senate.

The Veterans Club made a request for $3,363 to pay for three of its members to be transported and provided for at the fist national Student Veterans of America Conference in San Francisco.

Additionally, the SA gave recognition to the student organizations NIU College Libertarians, NIU Badminton Club and Huskie Disaster Relief Program.

Concluding the meeting was the election of a new speaker of the senate for the next year for which the senators would cast their vote. The candidate with the majority of votes would win the election.

The candidates were Senators Jordan Lubbers, Patrick Talley and Michael Hankla.

Senator Talley came out as the winner after a close election among the senators with the final vote coming down to a run-off vote between Talley, who received 13 votes, and Hankla, who received 12 votes, while one senator abstained.

“I’m excited, and the election was very exciting,” Talley said. “I don’t want to change too much outside of the senate because I think Speaker Venaas did a really good job.”

The final SA meeting of the semester will be held at 6 p.m. next Sunday in the Heritage Room in the Holmes Student Center where the $1.6 million budget for next year will be discussed.