NIU students share opinions of Michelle Obama

By JAMES TSCHIRHART

As the media focuses on what Michelle Obama is planting in her garden and what she is wearing, many of those at NIU believe what makes the first lady is not the color of her dress but the content of her character.

To many, she is already accepted as a role model in America and abroad, as evidenced by her friendly welcome in Great Britain during the G-20 summit. An April 10 Washington Times article referred to her as “role-model-in-chief.”

Political science professor Barbara Burrell, who wrote a book in 2001 on first ladyship titled “Public Opinion, the First Ladyship, and Hillary Rodham Clinton,” said first lady Obama’s popularity now is not uncommon of past first ladies after entering the White House.

“It’s interesting that she’s so popular now because she was controversial during the campaign,” Burrell said. “But she’s not saying anything controversial now or not doing anything to make people not like her except for maybe wearing a sleeveless dress.”

Throughout history, the role of the first lady has varied as each has acted as supporters of their husbands’ agendas, like Martha Washington and Eleanor Roosevelt, and advocated their own issues, as Laura Bush and Nancy Reagan did for literacy and anti-drug awareness.

While Michelle Obama has stressed her primary role as mother to her children, the native South Side Chicagoan has acted as White House hostess, PR person and has helped in community service.

She has yet to be associated with a specific issue or agenda but has been found to champion community service and workers’ rights.

As the first African-American first lady, she serves as a good example for many young women.

“She is what every African-American young lady dreams about being someday — not just the first lady, but an African-American woman who is recognized and respected for her beauty, talent, intellect and commitment to both the African-American community and humanity as a whole,” said Laverne Gyant, the director of the NIU Center for Black Studies.

Some students are also favorable of her and what she projects to America and the rest of the world.

“I think she is a very positive role model to the African-American woman,” said Jasmine Gillespie, a freshman political science major. “She sticks by her husband and is very committed to others.”

Not all students, however find the first lady favorable.

“I don’t think she’s exactly a classy first lady,” said Jennifer Litwin, a senior family social services major. “I think she’s kind of fake because of different things I’ve heard, and that kind of bothers me. But while she’s not my favorite person, I’m trying to like her.”