Doorstep Delivery offers cheap alternative to hoofing it to fast food establishments

By RIKKI COTTRELL

A new delivery service in DeKalb has students counting their change. According to the service’s Web site, doorstepd.com, Doorstep Delivery offers students the option to order any food that can be ordered for pick-up, and have it delivered right to you.

After the order, they can supply you with the estimated total and delivery time. The business even goes as far as to allow customers to pay with credit or debit by bringing a portable machine to swipe the card. Talk about convenience.

As far as additional costs, the price is minimal. Monday through Wednesday, a $3 fee is charged on top of the cost of the order. Thursday through Saturday, it’s $3.50. On orders $20 and over, a 15 percent delivery charge in instated in place of the regular charge.

While the charge may seem a little high for ordering off the dollar menu at McDonald’s, for those students who don’t have cars, this service is a dream come true. In fact, it leaves many students wondering, how come nobody thought of this sooner?

For something so simple and cheap, it’s no surprise that their business has done well. All that is asked of the customer is to order at least $5 worth of food, pay the fee and possibly tip the driver.

The tip is asked for as gratitude toward the fact that the drivers use their own vehicles and gas.

Though most students are content with walking when the weather is nice, the delivery aspect offers relief during the harsh winter months and windy, rainy days.

Freshman psychology major Kayla Gerdes sees why this service would attract business in a college town.

“During the day I don’t know how much service they would get, but at night and on the weekends when students are drinking and hungry and don’t want to go out, then they could just call,” she said.

Gerdes said that on days when the weather isn’t nice, she could see herself utilizing the service.

Zach Brictson, freshman computer science major, does not share welcoming sentiments for the new business, however.

“Most of the places are fast food restaurants. When I eat at places like that, it’s usually because I am going out with my friends,” Brictson said. “Besides, the $3 charge kind of defeats the purpose of going out to buy cheap food.”

Despite the fee, late-night cram sessions, or even just late-night weekends, would be better complimented with a meal that you didn’t have to walk 20 minutes to get.

Unfortunately, Doorstep Delivery has closed its door with the end of the spring semester. The Web site promises, however, that they will be back next semester better than ever, and there is no doubt students will welcome them with opening arms. I know I will.