Outing Centre offers summer trips for students to unwind

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

Students looking to get away this summer and spend some time outdoors for hiking, canoeing or rock climbing should head over to the Student Recreation Services.

The Outing Centre is offering three trips this summer for students to get away and the first one begins in May.

Devil’s Lake

The trip will take participants to Wisconsin, which will provide them with enough rock to climb for five days. Participants will spend the days outdoors hiking and rock climbing, said Brad Szlezak, graduate assistant for the Outing Centre. Students of any experience and skill level for rock climbing are welcome to participate, he said.

Szlezak is leading the trip, and he said this would be a good opportunity for students in which to partake.

“It’s right after finals, so it’s a good way to relax and take a breath,” he said.

The trip costs $150 for students and $175 for non-students, which includes gear, travel, food and shelter.

The informational meeting will be held April 28 at 9 p.m. at the Outing Centre. The trip will be May 11 through 15.

Backpacking

Szlezak said this trip has a different approach than the others. Participants of this program are going to be given the opportunity to express their opinions on where they want to go.

“They can go wild and think big, and we can provide examples too, but we want them to choose,” he said.

This trip takes place from May 18 through 22. The trip costs $150 for students and $175 for non-students. The cost also includes gear, travel, food and shelter.

The informational meeting will be April 22 and the 29 at 9 p.m. at the Outing Centre.

Boundary Waters Canoeing

This trip will take participants to Minnesota’s north woods and lakes to canoe and hike, Szlezak said. The trip will be split into two different outings. The first is June 3 to 13, with the second being Aug. 9 to 17.

The trip costs $375 for students and $425 for non-students, which will include canoes, food, travel, shelter and instruction. The informational meeting will be April 27.

Graduate counseling major Valarie Redmond said she is a cautious person that could not see herself canoeing but walking outdoors.

“Hiking is another form of walking, and it gives me the opportunity to see the outdoors,” Redmond said.