Student organization tries to break racial stereotypes

By Jen Bland

An NIU organization is trying to break the racism barriers.

The African Student Association (ASA) is one of the groups at NIU that is attempting to educate students about African culture in an effort to break down stereotypes.

One thing the ASA does is bring students from many cultures together so it’s not only a learning experience for the campus, but for the members as well.

The organization includes students from numerous countries including Egypt, Togo, Tanzania and Kenya. Mukila Maitha, public relations officer of the ASA, believes in the group and its quest.

“Americans see Africa as one big continent, but there are thousands of different cultures and languages,” he said. “In my home, there are 70 different communities that speak as many different languages.”

Maitha is at NIU on a five-year Visa from Kenya. He said he admires the quality of education found at NIU and in all American universities.

“They encourage free thought and freedom of expression,” Maitha said. “If you travel the world, you’ll find that this is not the case around the world.”

He also pointed out how much faster American life is. “You have to keep a time schedule,” Maitha said. The weather changes is something he has had to get use to.

In the past, the ASA has sponsored visits by a former finance minister of Liberia and Randall Robinson who is a lobbyist for African Affairs.

Last year three members of the ASA appeared on a TV program taped in Geneva. The members were Maitha, Edward Mwangi and Clifford Senegal.

Some upcoming events the ASA will take part in include Geography Awareness Week in November. The group will have a panel representing different countries to discuss aspects of their countries and there also will be a display of various artifacts.

At the end of November, Maitha said the ASA will have a panel discussion. He said the panel will answer any questions students have about Africa and its culture. The panel will be led by Nicholas Ladj from Africa’s Ivory coast.

Africa Day will feature foods for students to sample, film shows and a clothing display. Maitha also hopes to have a speaker.

Representatives from the ASA also will take part in three conferences—the National Council of Black Studies Conference, the African Studies Conference and the Third World Studies Conference.

In the mini-world showcase the group will try to have as many countries represented as possible, Maitha said. “The purpose of the showcase is to try to expose students to different cultures,” he said.

For ASA members there are various social activities. One upcoming event is a trip to Chicago. “We want to show our members what the American Midwest looks like,” Maitha said.

Members of the group are constantly traveling to schools and churches all over northern Illinois to discuss the diversity of the culture and people of Africa.

Maitha said he also would like to encourage students to stop African professors on campus and ask them questions about Africa.