New high school construction awaits approval by DeKalb City Council

By SHAUN ZINCK

The DeKalb High School annexation plans are nearing completion, needing only to be approved by the DeKalb City Council before construction can begin.

The annexation plans for the new high school located at the corner of West Dresser Road and Wildflower Lane have already been read by the council once before on March 23.

“We have been working closely with the city and developers for months now,” said Mike Verbic, board president of DeKalb School District 428. “We are confident the city council will approve the annexation on the April 27 meeting.”

Verbic said in a previous meeting the council had concern with the increase of traffic on Dresser Road and First Street.

“There will be peaked times of traffic when students are entering and exiting the school, and when staff are entering and exiting the high school,” Verbic said. “The council’s concerns were to make sure the traffic is adequately managed during those times.”

City Manager Mark Biernacki said traffic issues around the building seemed to be resolved during the March 23 meeting, but other issues such as still water draining and buffering neighboring properties from the school were still being looked over.

“We are working cooperatively with the district to resolve any issues,” Biernacki said.

Biernacki said the city council is required to read annexation plans twice when it comes to projects as big as constructing a building.

“This is a major project, and we have to make sure the building is easily accommodated for everyone,” he said.

Once the plans are passed and the board gets a building permit from the Regional Office of Education, construction can begin, Verbic said.

Verbic said the board expects to break ground sometime in May.