Letter to the Editor: Concealed carry column ignored the facts

By LETTER WRITER

I am extremely glad that the Northern Star ran an editorial regarding concealed carry laws on campus. However, I was extremely disappointed in reading it.

The editorial says, “Legislators should be embarrassed at suggesting that more guns present on campus is the answer to violent crime.” If anyone should be embarrassed, it is the author of the editorial because clearly the author knows nothing about concealed carry.

The writer mentions that “a hostile environment will be created and instigate more violence,” if campus concealed carry laws are enacted. Immediately, I know that there was absolutely no research done here. A quick look into some facts would reveal contrasting information. For example, as of a 2006 Utah Supreme Court ruling, Utah state law allows licensed individuals to carry concealed handguns at all of the public universities. Since that ruling, there have been no incidents of gun violence, gun accidents or gun theft. That number again, is zero.

Also, according to studies by University of Maryland senior research scientist John Lott, University of Georgia professor David Mustard, engineering statistician William Sturdevant and various state agencies, concealed handgun license holders are five times less likely than non-license holders to commit violent crimes.

Concealed carry is not dangerous, and the numbers are there to prove it. How many more students need to be robbed at gunpoint in residence halls before people realize that concealed carry on campus is the answer?

Joseph Stuckel

senior accountancy major