Holmes Student Center hotel offers affordable alternative to stay in DeKalb

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

The Holmes Student Center offers dining, lounging, a computer lab and a place to sleep.

The HSC Hotel has been on campus since 1967 and is open to the general public, Joyce Johnson, guest room manager of the hotel, said.

The hotel houses a variety of room options for guests. Johnson said the options include one king size bed, one queen size bed, two twin beds and suites. There are eight floors to the hotel.

The hotel is used on a daily basis, she said. Johnson said the HSC is a good place to house the hotel.

“The Student Center is one of the most popular buildings at NIU,” Johnson said. “It attracts many people who come to visit campus or attend conferences held on campus.”

The slowest months for the hotel are December and January, she said. During the summer and fall however, the hotel becomes busy since there are weddings and conventions occurring.

Johnson said last year the hotel had over 8,000 stays.

The average rate for a stay is $70 plus tax, which is affordable for students and their families, Johnson said.

The HSC Hotel has prices similar to local hotels.

According to their Web site, America’s Best Value Inn and Suites, 1860 DeKalb Ave., said the rates for a single room are $69 and for a double are $79 Sunday through Thursday. There is no specific rate for weekends.

The Holiday Inn Express, 1935 DeKalb Ave., rates for the week consist of $124.95, for a king size bed, according to their Web site, and a weekend price of $129.95, a representative from the hotel said the price includes breakfast every morning throughout the week. The HSC Hotel is open 24 hours and seven days a week. The hotel is closed on some holidays depending on how busy it is and if the Holmes Student Center is open.

Through the years, the hotel has seen its share of celebrities and artists who stayed over night such as Martin Luther King’s daughter, attorney Johnny Cochran, famous jazz musicians and musical groups, Johnson said.