Student Advancement Committee holds fundraiser for troop care packages

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

Students can take part in donating items for soldiers overseas.

“Drive for Soldiers,” which allows participants to donate items to be sent to Camp Stryker in Iraq, began Tuesday. The drive will continue today in the main entrance of Wirtz Hall from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The Student Advancement Committee (SAC) is an FCNS organization that organized the event.

Jessica Graziano, senior nutrition and dietetics major and president of SAC said the committee came up with the idea on its own.

“Every semester we always do a fund-raiser,” Graziano said. “Members brought up the idea, and we wanted to do this instead of repeating ideas.”

Graziano said this fund-raiser has a personal connection for some members of SAC. A member proposed the idea because her brother is currently serving in Iraq.

Items that can be donated include hygiene products such as lotion, deodorant, sunscreen, nonperishable items such as canned foods and entertainment such as magazines, newspapers, playing cards and CDs. A money donation is also welcomed.

Graziano said if there aren’t enough items donated the organization will use the donated money to buy the items for the care packages themselves.

The care packages are being sent overseas by an organization called Support Overseas Military Families. The organization’s Web site provides a name of someone in charge of a troop such as a lieutenant. The site then provides a list of items that their troop would like to receive.

“Some said they would like boots or playing cards,” Graziano said.

Junior history major Mary Hatfield said she has participated in the donation of care packages to soldiers overseas, and she said it’s a good feeling knowing you actually helped someone out.

She said this is a good experience for students to participate in.

“Its great for college students to pay attention to the world around them,” Hatfield said.

Committee member Rebecca Fritzshall said she feels that SAC has continued to improve its program supporting those overseas.

“In previous years, SAC has sent letters to soldiers. We thought that we could expand on this by actually sending them care packages. We want to let those that are serving our country know that we care and are thinking about them.”