Grant South turnaround causes confusion for unfamiliar student motorists

By JENNIFER KURLAND

Imagine yourself driving; it’s cold out, but you have the heat on.

You’re bored, but you are enjoying the music playing on the radio, and the traffic isn’t too bad so you won’t be in the car much longer.

Then you get cut off.

You scream fragments of insults that you have never even heard yourself say.

This is road rage, and this is what you hear when you stand outside of Grant South.

Currently, Grant South has a car turnaround.

People are constantly driving in the wrong direction, and bystanders just laugh.

Three-point turns, sudden stops and yelling pedestrians are all normal occurrences at Grant South.

“I always see cars pulling into Grant South in the wrong direction,” said freshman economics major John Han. “It’s pretty entertaining to watch the drivers come up with ways to go back to the entrance and try again.”

Again and again, cars turn right coming from Grant North and do not see the sign that explains to keep right.

Cars can usually make it halfway down one side of the turnaround before they realize the mistake they have just made. Then the three-point turns and sudden stops begin.

“The sign that says to ‘keep right’ is really small,” Han said. “It is black and white and has no nighttime reflectors on it.”

Cars attempt to turn around to go back to the beginning of the turnaround and try again.

The funny part is, no car is small enough to make a U-turn in that limited amount of space.

With the 15-minute parking spots, oncoming traffic and the median in the way, drivers sometimes give up with the three-point turn approach and just reverse all the way back to the entrance of the turnaround and try again.

Chaos has erupted at Grant South, all because of faulty sign placement. Donald Grady, chief of University Police and public safety officer, explained there is more to the problem than just the placement of one sign.

Grady explained it sounds as if there are students who find it easier to go the wrong direction in attempts to just get in and out of the turnaround as fast as possible.

Grady said if the police officers that patrol this area are not taking lawful actions toward these violators, the problem will only continue.

This is true, but although police officers are frequently at Grant South, they are not there every second of the day.

People make mistakes; is that not what makes us human?

“I don’t think this is a matter of breaking the law,” said freshman undecided major Kelsey Ryndak. “It is real easy to misinterpret the turnaround if you have never been there before.”

If the turnaround mayhem does not subside within the next two to three weeks, Grady said bigger actions will have to take place.

I’m not asking for tickets to be handed out left and right; I am asking for a less negative approach to accomplish the goal of decreasing the amount of mistakes made in the turnaround.

“I think a bigger and brighter sign would do the job,” Ryndak said. “Drivers generally understand they made a mistake and attempt to fix it. I think the fact that they are trying to fix it is a sign that they are not the ones to be blamed.”

Enforcing the traffic law more harshly is an option, but it also comes with larger consequences.

No one likes getting tickets, especially if it’s an honest mistake such as this one.

Changing the size and placement of the sign in front of Grant South is an easy fix.

Traffic will flow with ease just as fast, and the obscenities will begin to diminish.