Volunteers receive new helping hand

By SHAUN ZINCK

Volunteering just got a little bit easier in DeKalb School District 428.

Since the 2007-08 school year, District 428 has used a program called Volunteers Offering Intergenerational Collaborative Experiences with Students, or V.O.I.C.E.S., to help volunteers connect and help students of District 428, said Russ Fletcher, director of school and community relations.

V.O.I.C.E.S. is used as a tool for those looking to volunteer for the schools in the district.

“Volunteers do many activities to support learning in our district,” Fletcher said. “We have volunteers who tutor in specific subjects, work on reading skills, study skills and test-taking skills.”

This year the program has undergone some minor changes, Fletcher said.

“We have made some modifications to the operational processes this year to make it easier for volunteers to enroll and to get connected to volunteer opportunities,” Fletcher said.

Fletcher said a number of the volunteers are college students as well as members of surrounding communities.

“We have found the volunteers very helpful and provide extra learning help to our students,” said Roger Scott, Huntley Middle School principal.

Jill Royer, reading specialist for Huntley, said she coordinates meetings with volunteers and students as well as introduces the students to their volunteers.

“Sometimes the volunteer helps the student with school work, but I also like that they get to know the student,” Royer said. “It has been my experience so far this year that the students who are in the program look forward to and enjoy meeting with their volunteer.”

Fletcher said those wanting to volunteer should visit the district’s Web site at www.dist428.org to sign up.