Tuition costs become unbearable

By JENNIFER KURLAND

Rising education costs have become almost unbearable. According to FinAid.org on average, tuition tends to increase about 8 percent a year.

The Web site explains that for a baby born now, college costs will be over three times the current rates when the child registers for college. Costs are continuing to rise as the years pass, but we are in 2009, and it already seems like too much. What are we to do about today’s costs?

“The state and federal government do provide [a] great deal of assistance through the variety of aid programs available; students must qualify based on the Federal formula which assumes a contribution from the family based on income,” said Brent Gage, assistant vice provost for Enrollment Services. “If families are unable to meet their portion of the cost, or “expected family contribution,” students do fall short in meeting the cost of education.”

Students, ask yourselves these questions: How many people were denied federal aid and feel they really need it? How many cannot meet their “expected family contribution?” And finally, how many people know someone that had to drop out of school because they could not afford it?

“I had to see my friend Alana Mueller leave NIU after first semester,” said freshman photography major Alicia Wasilewski. “It’s too bad she couldn’t stay. We all miss her very much.”

Education is a wonderful gift. Although it may seem to be a pain, waking up early for a boring class or having such a large amount of homework that you feel like you are about to have a panic attack, in the end, education will increase your pay, chances for a good job and status among fellow Americans. That makes it so much harder to see your college buddy pack their things into the trunk of their parents’ car and be taken back home. In this situation, all we see is someone missing out on a once in a lifetime experience and chance to succeed.

“Tuition has increased for incoming freshman each year for the past five years,” said Ombudsman Tim Griffin. “Providing, the residential halls has also increased because the overall cost of living in America has increased.”

Not only do students have to worry about paying for school but also living. For freshmen that are not commuters, it is a requirement to live in the dorms for one year. According to the Data Book on Illinois Higher Education, the cost for room and board for 2008 is $6,640, and for 2009, the cost increased by $630; bringing 2009’s grand total to $7,270.

“I couldn’t afford the cost of the dorms, so I had to take out a loan to cover it,” Wasilewski said.

If you do not choose dormitory life for your living situation, you have the option of apartments, townhouses and even sorority or fraternity houses. Although these choices may be cheaper than the residence halls, the costs still make an impact.

“Students who are having trouble with money [should] take advantage of all federal aid possible; follow up on grants, scholarships and work study [opportunities]; look at subsidized loans; think about working while in school and, finally, budget carefully,” Griffin said.

We can only hope that some day, America’s government will give the gift of education. In elementary school, we often heard the phrase, “You are our country’s future.” Without education, I wouldn’t expect much of a future, and without money, I wouldn’t expect much of an education.