Social networking sites: friend or foe?

By LOGAN SHORT

Mainly attributable to the Internet, we have entered a new age of communication and convenience. Several different pros and cons can be argued on the matter, but whether or not there is a net benefit to this new era has yet to be determined and only the future can tell.

A large population of young people and an increasing amount of adults now use some sort of social networking Web site. The two most popular, MySpace and Facebook, provide users with the opportunity to post photos and stay updated with many aspects of their “friends'” lives. One of its problems, however, is a problem known by most students as “creeping.” In this context, the term is vague but could entail things like a person leaving too many comments or messages, or seeking and remembering an excess of a person’s information. Who is to blame? Should people restrict the amount of information they post on the internet, or should people restrict their attention to these sites? The answer to this question is not completely black and white though; it is hard to identify one single principle to apply to every situation.

“I think it’s a combination if it’s our responsibility to put up our information,” said freshman communications major Patricia Fernandez.

These sites allow for a lot of freedom and therefore what is considered proper etiquette on them is left up to the individual. For assured security in any system, there must be more control and thus more power delegated to a more solitary power.

“Regardless of whether you have your page blocked or not, you’ll still get creepy messages,” said freshman nursing major Nelissa Estudillo. “Don’t add people you don’t know.”

As long as these sites are unregulated, the opportunity to “creep” is going to exist and continue to happen. So, until further restrictions are in place, it is up to the page’s host to decide what information is worth the risk of harassment. The harassment could range from plain annoyance to illegal stalking. Is it worth it?

“It may be too early to tell,” said sociology professor Fred Markowitz. “Probably if it interferes with other aspects of your life, though, it could be a problem.”

Social networking has come upon us faster than we know what to do with it. It is obviously very complicated to determine where the line is drawn. Do not blow the ordeal out of proportion, however. When sites like Facebook and MySpace become one of the most significant aspects of your life, that becomes a problem in and of itself.