Conquer stress with these tips

By MICHAEL BROWN

The semester is nearing the halfway mark, and mid-terms and papers may begin piling up on students. For some, burnout may be inevitable.

Diane Pospisil-Kinney, a counselor in the Counseling and Student Development Center, said it helps to reduce stress if students effectively manage their time.

“I think that’s why I’m stressed, because I don’t have a schedule,” said junior English major John Hardy.

Junior geography major Robert Wawrzyniak said stress is natural, but he organizes himself well.

“Sometimes things happen that are unexpected, so you have to adjust to that,” Wawrzyniak said.

Another tip Pospisil-Kinney gave was students should schedule time in their day for themselves.

“Make sure to schedule in time daily to have a little fun and/or relax,” Pospisil-Kinney said. “Even 15 minutes a day can make a world of difference.”

Hardy says when he feels stressed, he recedes into solitude.

“I read the Bible, and I pray,” Hardy said.

Pospisil-Kinney said there are symptoms that indicate burnout is imminent.

Some signs of burnout for people may include increased difficulty concentrating on homework or classes; increased levels of stress; increased anger/irritation at demands on our time; feeling overwhelmed; and increased fatigue and physical reactions such as headache and digestive problems, Pospisil-Kinney said.

“The most important piece is that you know yourself and your personal signs of stress/burnout,” she said.

Pospisil-Kinney also said students should ask for help if they need it whether a student participates in a study group, asks a friend for help with chores or even receives counseling. She believes counseling can always help by teaching things such as stress management and ways to cope.

Pospisil-Kinney said the most important component to stress management is taking care of yourself.

“The best way to prevent burnout in any situation is to take care of yourself both physically and emotionally from the beginning,” she said. “When left unattended, prolonged, increased levels of stress can have longer-lasting effects on our emotional and physical health, but learning to work with it instead of against it can actually provide better skills for coping later in life as well as easing the burdens now.”

Sophomore history major Jessica Dietrich said she doesn’t have many problems with stress.

“I’m naturally pretty easy-going, and as far as staying on top of my schoolwork, I’m pretty good at that usually,” Dietrich said.