Library houses quilt in honor of Feb. 14 tragedy

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

A king-size quilt rests behind five plates of glass on the fourth floor by the Regional History Center.

Huskies, doves, flowers, hearts and crosses design the red, black and white squares which were made by students, faculty, community organizations, first responders to the scene and elementary students.

The Memorial Quilt dedication ceremony was held on Friday in the Founders Memorial Library. The quilt honors and remembers the victims from Feb. 14.

The ceremony began with a welcome by Patrick Dawson, dean of university libraries. Dawson said the quilt serves a greater purpose for those in the community.

“This is a real community building experience,” he said.

Byron Anderson, acting dean of public services, introduced the memorial quilt committee and added the quilt is in an appropriate location for all of those to see.

“Each quilt piece is a unique expression of healing,” Anderson said.

Anderson said he received letters from fourth graders whose teacher explained to the students what happened on Feb. 14, the students then sent letters of condolence and healing.

One student’s letter caught Anderson’s attention. He said the student wrote a joke to cheer everyone up, and to get them through their healing process.

Rebecca Martin, librarian, head of access services and chair of the quilt committee, introduced the project and the quilters from the committee; Stacey Bivens, Pat Galvan, Sherry Patterson and Lesly Schoo.

Martin said the project began in April of 2008 when the committee handed out 163 squares. In July, the committee began sewing in the library.

Sgt. Lisa Holiday of the DeKalb Police Department took a black square and decorated it with a feather and five hearts. Holiday attended the ceremony and was astonished when she saw the quilt put together.

“It’s just beautiful,” Holiday said. “I am glad it’s permanently here.”

Martin said the quilt is a remembrance that will stay in the library for a permanent display.