NIU gets ready for track and field finals

By MIKE BUDA

The first half of the season is coming to an end for the NIU track and field team, and they are looking to finish on a high note.

The MAC Indoor Track and Field Championships begin today at 9 a.m. in Kent, Ohio. For the women, all 12 MAC teams will be competing, and in the Huskies’ past two events, they were able to scope out six of them.

Since head coach Connie Teaberry arrived in 2004, NIU has placed no higher than ninth at the indoors. Last season, the Huskies finished last but still have their heads held high for this year.

“We’re keeping ourselves positive and hoping that we can get it done,” Teaberry said.

Teaberry also hopes that they can have some of their athletes step up and reach the NCAA Championships.

“We’re hoping that we can have a couple that can step up and reach those times and those marks,” she said.

One of the NIU leaders that Teaberry is looking toward is junior Brittany Houghton. Houghton competes in the long jump, triple jump and even the 4×400 relay.

Houghton broke an NIU record at last year’s championships with a mark of 18-08.50 in the long jump and has continued to impress this season.

Sophomore Nancy Nieto has dominated the 3,000-meter run ever since joining the team in January. In three events, she has taken first place twice and second place once.

In the field, senior Jennene Anthony and junior Cora Caulfield are the Huskies’ best chances for a win in the weight throw and shot put.

Sophomore Sunsea Shaw has been improving as the season has gone along with four top-six finishes in the 1-mile run, including a season best time of last 5:15.63 weekend.

Also on the track, the young pair of sophomore Rasheta Butler and freshman Roneisha Frye will be looking to light it up. Butler has done best in the 400-meter dash while Frye has done well in the 60-meter hurdles.

“A championship is a championship,” Teabearry said about the importance of the indoors compared to the outdoors. “We need to be ready to go whether it’s indoor or out.”