Profile on Jacqueline Do

By NIU PUBLIC AFFAIRS

When she was 8 years old, Jacqueline Do told her parents she wanted to be a pediatrician. Now 19, she has never been more determined to reach that goal.

The academically talented sophomore is a recipient of the Presidential Scholarship and a member of both the National Society of Collegiate Scholars and Lambda Sigma Honors Society. She works at a local bank and volunteers regularly at a DeKalb assisted living center, all the while juggling a challenging load of coursework in biological sciences and chemistry.

Do said she plans to attend medical school after graduating from NIU.

“Jacqueline is a highly motivated, dedicated and hard-working student,” said Distinguished Research Professor Chhiu-Tsu Lin. “She has strong drive and determination that pushes her every day to do all that she can to excel.”

During elementary school and again in high school, Do visited relatives in Vietnam and was struck by the disparity she saw in children’s health care. It heightened her interest in becoming a doctor and in finding ways to provide care to all children.

The Feb. 14, 2008 tragedy further strengthened her resolve. The lifelong DeKalb resident said she was devastated, but she learned during that period to lean on family and friends for support.

“How we decide to act during the tragedy as well as how we cope with the tragedy shows a lot about our character,” she said. “Undoubtedly, we learn things about ourselves as individuals.

“I have learned to live each day to its fullest, accept all opportunities, and to push myself with every fiber of my being to pursue my dreams,” she added.