Track, tennis fall in contests

By MIKE BUDA

This past weekend did not go as planned for some of Huskie sports, but there were still some positives that can be taken from it.

The women’s track and field team took fourth place at the Illinois Intercollegiate in Charleston on Saturday.

Sophomore Nancy Nieto continued her progression as a Huskie with a first place finish in the 3000-meter run. With a time of 10:29.39, Nieto ended up six seconds ahead of her competition.

Another big victory for NIU came in the high jump. Junior Jessica Statler, with a jump of 5 feet, 4.25 inches, grabbed her first win in the high jump this season.

The relay team also continued to show off its skills with a close second place finish in the 4×400 relay. The Huskies crossed the finish line with a time of 4:01.70, which was just 0.28 seconds behind the Southern Illinois-Edwardsville team.

A trio of third place finishes rounded off a good day for NIU.

In the long jump, junior Brittany Houghton leaped for 17 feet, 8.75 inches. Fellow junior Cora Caulfield took third in the shot put with a throw of 40 feet, 7 inches, and senior Jennene Anthony threw for a distance of 52 feet, 2 inches in the 20-pound weight throw.

The next event for the Huskies is the Central Michigan Quadrangular at 4 p.m. this Friday in Mt. Pleasant, Mich.

Women’s Tennis

NIU’s dual meet in Milwaukee this weekend started off bad, turned for the better, and ended the same way that it started against Wisconsin, UW-Green Bay and Marquette.

On Friday, NIU took on the No. 68 Badgers and mustered up only one victory in a 7-0 loss.

The tandem of sophomore Kathryn Friedlund and freshman Emily Rogers won the No. 3 doubles match.

The Huskies looked a little bit different on Saturday with a 6-1 win over the UW-Green Bay Phoenix.

In No. 1 singles, senior Lilian Asuaje grabbed the match in three sets 6-2, 6-7, 10-2.

Super Bowl Sunday was anything but super for NIU as the Huskies lost 7-0 to the Golden Eagles.

The lone victory came in No. 1 doubles as senior Nao Umemura and junior Brooke Forsberg defeated Marquette’s Paola Calderon and Kylie Moore 8-5.

NIU will face Eastern Illinois this Saturday and Southern Illinois this Sunday at 1 p.m. in DeKalb.

Men’s Tennis

The Huskies (0-3) finished off their tour of Big Ten schools Saturday as they fell 6-1 to No. 59 Iowa (1-0).

In No. 1 singles, NIU snatched its only victory of the day as freshman Jurica Grubisic defeated the Hawkeyes’ Christian Bierich 6-4, 4-6, 6-3.

Freshman Pawel Poziomski lost 6-1, 6-1 in his first career dual match as a Huskie.

In doubles action, the teams of Grubisic/Poziomski and Shaun Stewart/Ross VanderPloeg pushed their matches to the brink, but fell short 9-7 and 8-6 respectively.

NIU’s next match is this Saturday at Western Illinois at 2 p.m.