How to become a CA

By DAVID THOMAS

They’re the first line of defense when it comes to move-in day, roommate rivalries and campus safety.

They are the Community Advisers: students who have volunteered to be a positive influence on those living in the residence halls. Ebony Johnson, associate director of residential communities, described them as premiere leaders.

“That’s what we consider as leaders in our residence halls,” Johnson said.

CAs, according to Johnson, primarily deal with transitional issues for incoming freshmen. They receive training in a variety of areas, including community development and handling roommate issues.

Applications to become CAs are due Thursday, but not every student can apply. First, only students that attended one of the four informational meetings can apply. The list narrows to students who have a semester and cumulative GPA of at least 2.3, and other requirements.

THE GOOD

There are many perks to being a CA. One of the biggest draws is that they receive free room and board, along with a free meal plan.

But the benefits do not stop with the money. Junior biology major Shawn Geegan, a Douglas Hall CA, emphasized the leadership aspect of the position.

“In my opinion, it’s the best leadership position on campus, especially with leadership being so important for resumes,” Geegan said.

Junior sociology major John Swoboda said the position “really teaches you a lot of skills” including time management and being flexible regarding different people and situations.

“It helps you no matter what you do in life,” Swoboda said. He was a former Douglas CA who said he was let go because his GPA fell below 2.3.

THE BAD

There are downsides, too. Johnson said the position, which is the equivalent to a 20 hours a week job, requires good time management skills.

“If you’re not good with time management, it’ll be frustrating being on call,” Johnson. The stress can pile on if the CA has a particularly bad floor. Geegan spoke of how the job can put a strain on the CA’s other relationships.

“It’s hard to have a lot of friendships with people outside the residence halls, unless you have

understanding friends,” Geegan said.

Swoboda, however, spoke of his difficulties with what he called “the bureaucracy,” and how some officials can be unresponsive to the CAs needs. While Geegan said he was re-applying for the position, Swoboda said he is considering getting an apartment because of his past troubles with Housing and Dining.

Geegan recommended that students thinking about applying to be a CA should talk to or shadow one, “just so they can see a little more behind the scenes of what goes on,” he said.