NIU president hosts luncheon, recognizes efforts of Feb. 14 volunteers

By MICHAEL BROWN

At 11 a.m. Monday, people poured into the Duke Ellington Ballroom for the annual Holiday Luncheon hosted by NIU President John Peters.

Peters said this year’s luncheon is even more special because it also shows his appreciation for all those who helped in the wake of the Feb. 14 shootings.

“These people went the extra mile to help us heal and move forward,” Peters said. “I’ve never worked with a better group of employees. They get the job done.”

Many were greeted with a handshake and some with a hug from Peters himself as people from all parts of the NIU community came to enjoy the free luncheon, which sported sandwiches, soups, salads, punch, hot chocolate and vegetarian and vegan items. For entertainment, there was a Nintendo Wii, and the event coordinators encouraged everyone to play.

“One of the things we really wanted to do was [have] an inclusive event for the campus,” said Ellen Andersen, director for special events. “We get such a wide range [of people] across campus. We get people from every department, and it’s really nice to see.”

Andersen said about 1,500 people attend the event every year, and the forms of entertainment have varied.

Jes Cisneros, assistant director for the Honors Program, said that it’s good to see people from all around campus before the semester comes to a close.

“I think it’s a wonderful event that brings people together,” Cisneros said. “It’s a nice way to end the semester before people disperse.”

Some students who attended were originally drawn by the promise of free food, but were impressed with the atmosphere. There were a couple Christmas trees, a video slideshow, and some of the tables had a bowl full of water with lit candles inside as a centerpiece.

“I like the environment – the lighting is amazing,” said Karim Merchant, a freshman political science major.

Candice Kocna, a freshman psychology and marketing double major, said she “felt really happy” upon entering the ballroom.

Peters said the annual luncheon was started nine years ago, and it was originally offered as a “thank you” to the staff for its service to the students, but was always open to everyone who is a part of the NIU community, including students and retirees.