Complaint against NIU resolved

By Maria Tortorello

The conflict between NIU and a student has been resolved by the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.

The result of the investigation concluded NIU was complying with all the laws.

NIU student Paul Robinson filed a complaint against the university with the Office for Civil Rights in December 1992, because he felt his rights were violated when he was suspended from riding the buses and the Freedom Mobile for one week.

Robinson’s complaint stemmed from a problem which began in August 1992, when Robinson called for rides on the Freedom Mobile, a van funded by the Student Association Mass Transit Board (SAMTB) for mobility and visually-handicapped students. Robinson received a ride from Neptune West to the music building area.

These rides violated the SAMTB rules, which states that students are restricted from riding the Freedom Mobile from one point on campus to another or from class to class until November.

After trying without success to discuss the situation with Sue Reinhardt, coordinator of Services for Students with Disabilities at the time, he was issued a warning.

After Robinson was informed of the warning, he received another ride from the Freedom Mobile from campus to campus, which again violated the policy.

Robinson then was informed he was suspended for one week from riding the van. Because of the suspension, Robinson’s name was announced over the Huskie Bus Line radio, which told drivers he was not allowed to ride any bus or the Freedom Mobile.

The Office for Civil Rights followed up with an investigation, which involved a questionnaire about the policies for students with disablities and interviews with people in the SAMTB and students with disabilities. In August of this year, the office had a representative visit the campus to make sure all policies were being upheld.

As a result, the university was found to be complying with the law.

NIU Legal Counsel George Shur said because of Robinson’s complaint, the university needed to investigate potential problems which could affect several students.

“It is one thing if it’s a problem with an individual student,” Shur said. “But if we are doing something that affects a whole class of students in an improper way, that causes us to investigate.”

Linn Sorge, cooridnator of Services for the Visually Impaired, said she felt NIU was not wrong in issuing the suspension to Robinson.

“NIU was doing everything correctly,” she said. “If we hadn’t felt that way, we would not have pursued the investigation and encouraged Paul to comply with the policy.”

Sorge also said there were never complaints issued about the Freedom Mobile before this case.

“We asked other students what their preferences were and the vast majority preferred it the way things are,” she said.

Robinson declined to comment on the situation.

“It is one thing if it’s a problem with an individual student. But if we are doing something that affects a whole class of students in an improper way, that causes us to investigate.”