Students get ready for good eats during Nutrition Education Week

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

Students are ready for good eats.

NIU is taking part in the second year of Nutrition Education Week from Nov. 10 to Nov. 13, and participants are learning about a variety of health topics.

Seniors in FCNS 409, Nutrition Education for Health Promotion, organized and designed the programs, said Beverly Henry, assistant professor of nutrition dietetics and hospitality administration.

“The students provided a variety of sessions such as to eat healthier and feel better,” Henry said.

The programs are free to students and to the public. The cooking sessions require advanced registration due to limited spacing, Henry said.

The sessions will educate students on a variety of food topics. Such programs will include how to make quick, easy and healthy meals while on a college budget, make healthier food choices in the residence halls, eat healthy while commuting to NIU and stay physically fit. Cooking demos and discussions on portion control will also be offered.

Some students find Nutrition Education Week to be helpful as it introduces them to a new experience of nutrition.

Jessica Hernandez, senior sociology major, said she was interested in the program “It Takes Food to Tango: Eat Healthy Latino Style.”

“I am Hispanic, and I would like to learn how to cook more of this food,” she said.

Benjamin Marcial, freshman nursing major who lives in the dorms, said the programs caught his attention because they offer him a chance to learn how to eat healthier and watch what he eats while on a college budget.

“I get tired of eating unhealthy, greasy meals,” Marcial said.

Henry said the placement of the week allows students to learn how to take care of themselves before finals and the holidays.

“Our goal is to have students have their questions be answered and to make small changes to make themselves feel better,” Henry said.

Wednesday, Nov. 12

Small Wonders

Noon to 1 p.m., Campus Child Care Center Large Motor Room

Everyone can develop healthy eating habits to enhance good health and life. Parents and childcare providers can learn how small changes can make BIG differences.

Have a Ball Eating in the Dining Hall!

5:30 to 6:30 p.m., Douglas Hall Big Blue Room

Learn how easy it is to make healthy choices in the residence halls. Join us for a free snack while we discuss portion sizes along with physical activity.

The Complete Truth about Soy….

6 to 7 p.m., Wirtz 306 Foods Lab

Learn the truth about complete soy protein and enjoy some hands-on fun. Come experience a new way to bake for the heart.

Space is limited. Call 815-753-1260, stop by Wirtz 118 or e-mail [email protected] to reserve your seat.

Living the Good Life: Healthy Choices on Campus

7 to 8 p.m., Lincoln Hall Multipurpose Room

Come explore MyPyramid. Learn how to use it in your everyday life. We will talk about portion sizes, with an emphasis on healthy snacking.

Thursday, Nov. 13

Nutrition on the Go

Noon to 1 p.m., Holmes Student Center (HSC) Basement: Commuter/Non-Traditional Student Services Lounge

Join us for snacks while learning how to eat nutritionally-even when you are commuting to NIU. We will show you how all foods can fit into a healthy meal plan.

Using Prevention to Knock-out Disease

Noon to 1 p.m., HSC Blackhawk Annex

Jump-start your heart and fight for strong bones. You will be shocked to find out how easy it is to kick bad habits and live a long and healthy life.

Drive Home Healthy Habits

2 to 3 p.m., HSC Basement: Commuter and Non-Traditional Student Services Lounge. Commuters and non-traditional students can eat healthy and stay physically fit while on campus. Learn how to read food labels, find healthy food on campus, pack a nutritious lunch and use the Student Recreation Center.

SOURCE: Office of Public Affairs Press Release