Liberace Jazztet to perform tonight

By HEATHER SKRIP

The Liberace Jazztet will be performing at the Recital Hall tonight.

The acclaimed jazz group from NIU features undergraduate and graduate students, along with members of the faculty. Of the sixteen current members, six are members of NIU’s faculty and the students are known as “Liberace Scholars.”

According to the group’s biography, they were formed in August 2001 and are funded by The Liberace Foundation for the Performing and Creative Arts.

The Liberace Jazztet fits perfectly with the jazz program that is already here at NIU. Ronald Carter is in charge of the school’s jazz program and is also part of the Jazztet. According to the group’s biography, U.S. News and World Report has named the NIU Graduate Jazz Studies Program as one of the ten best in the nation every year since 1997.

The group’s most recently released album is entitled “MONKIN’ AROUND.” The album includes ten tracks, nine of which were original compositions by the student members. The group also plans to release a third album this month that will be “entitled ‘Equity’ and dedicated to the families of the NIU tragedy on February 14.

The instruments used in the band reflect a wide variety of jazz. The unique, classical sound of the Jazztet’s music reflects a combination of guitars, trombones, trumpets, basses, saxophones, drums and pianos.

The Liberace Jazztet is a noteworthy group from NIU that is worth seeing, especially to anyone who is interested in the realm of jazz music. The show will begin at 8 p.m. and it’s free to attend.