For some, the search for next semester’s classes begins

By MEGAN GEYER

NIU students have begun registering for classes for next semester.

Academic Advisor Steven Barleen said students often make a big mistake when choosing their schedules.

“[Students] don’t see their advisor. They get advice from friends,” Barleen said.

Academic Advisor Jonathon Ferguson and Barleen agreed that taking classes friends say are easy can be problematic.

“Just because one thing is easier for me, doesn’t mean it’s easier for you,” Ferguson said.

Students also should not pick a class just because it fits into their schedule nicely, said Rachel McEnery, graduate assistant academic advisor.

To help with class choice, students should make an effort to master their own graduation requirements and read the class descriptions to help with class choice, Ferguson said.

McEnery added that students should take advantage of MyNIU’s wish list.

“[MyNIU’s wish list] is a way of setting up your class schedule before it’s time to register,” Ferguson said.

McEnery said students also should balance the level of difficulty in their courses.

“Don’t have all really difficult courses one semester and all easy courses another semester,” McEnery said.

If a student has to make a choice of pursuing either a bachelor of arts (B.A.) or bachelor of science (B.S.) degree, Barleen advised not to put that decision off.

Students should know what program they are following by the start of sophomore year.

Students who wait until later “leave very little room for error,” Barleen said.