SA gives $25K in supplemental funding to CAB

By JAMES TSCHIRHART

The Campus Activity Board received $25,000 and knows how to use it.

During the Student Association’s Senate meeting Nov. 9, CAB was approved to receive $25,000 in supplemental funding.

“It helps definitely because having $25,000 added on helps us to program more efficiently to what we’re trying to do next semester,” said CAB President Marlon Haywood. “There are many ideas that we are working on that I’m excited about in the up and coming year.”

Some of the things CAB has in mind for programming with the funding are an international fair, Unity and Diversity Week, fine arts department showcases and a winter wonderland-themed prom.

The SA had $80,000 in supplemental funding to begin with and is now down to $55,000. Despite the funding given out, SA President Brent Keller is not worried.

“Regarding supplemental funding, we expected someone to come forward as early as the first Senate meeting,” Keller said. “My thought on the amount they requested reflects the programmatic quality that CAB has been providing this year and the fact that their budget was severely cut last year.”

CAB’s budget was cut by $90,000 for this year and because of Keller and SA Treasurer Patrick Echols’s decision to withhold all organizations’ rollover funds, CAB lost an additional $110,000.

“No one likes it, but it was done for the good of the whole school. Admission’s low, everything’s low, so the school’s low on money,” said CAB Vice President Emeka Chike-Obi.

The cuts in CAB’s budget has led CAB to discontinue paying some of their staff, charging for some events and co-sponsoring events with other organizations.

“For the remainder of the year, there will be no more money coming in next semester from SA or other sources,” Chike-Obi said. “I think we are halfway through our budgeting, but we have to be a lot more efficient with the next semester.”

SA started the school year with $228,000 and is now down to about $110,000.

Some of the more expensive things CAB has paid for this year have been Fall Fest Week; fashion, talent and comedy shows; and Homecoming Week, when $15,000 was spent on promotional items like hats, shirts and footballs.

Prior to Nov. 9, CAB has never had to ask for supplemental funding.