Student Affairs investigating BB gun shooting; University views as isolated incident

By DAVID THOMAS

NIU is investigating the BB gun shooting of two people outside the Phi Sigma Kappa house.

“Judicial Affairs is still compiling information as to how it will be adjudicating the case,” said Brian Hemphill, vice president of Student Affairs.

As of now, Hemphill said the university is viewing this as an isolated incident involving three individuals.

“We are not viewing this as an issue with a fraternity,” Hemphill said.

DeKalb Police arrested Andrew J. Blunier, 19, Zachary R. Jaydos, 19, and Alberto Saldana, 20, after they allegedly fired a BB gun from a second floor window of their fraternity house at around 11 a.m. Friday.

Lt. Gary Spangler said the offenders were planning to shoot street signs.

The BBs hit the right shoulder of a person standing at the bus stop located just outside of the house, but the shot did not cause injury, Spangler said. Another person on the bus was hit in the back of the neck.

An ambulance was called, but Spangler said the victim refused to take it and drove himself to the hospital.

Although it has been less than a year since the Feb. 14 shootings, Hemphill said the university would take this situation seriously “regardless of the context.”

Following the incident, Hemphill said he sent a member of the Student Affairs crisis response team to contact the victim.

“We will continue to provide support and assistance related to the incident,” Hemphill said.

The exact punishment the students could face is unknown at the moment. All three are charged with reckless conduct, a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to a $1,000 fine and one year in jail.

However, injuring another person constitutes as the misuse of a BB gun, a violation of chapter 3, section 1.5b of the Student Code of Conduct. The possession of a firearm or other illegal weapons is a $150 fine, according to the same handbook.

However, Judicial Affairs can always rule whether or not a harsher sanction should be enacted.

“The Division of Student Affairs will be holding the students accountable and that this is unacceptable behavior within the NIU community,” Hemphill said.