More MyNIU help coming students way

By DAVID THOMAS

Spring semester class registration begins today and for students who are still unsure about MyNIU have an opportunity to learn more about the system.

An open lab session will be held in Altgeld Hall room 100 for students to learn more about the Student Center feature of MyNIU. The features displays a student’s academic schedule, along with any outstanding financial charges and enrollment dates.

Brian Brim, project manager for MyNIU, said the lab session will be useful for students who are still unfamiliar with the system.

“Registration is stressful,” Brim said. “You don’t need to be concerned on how to use MyNIU.”

This will be the second time MyNIU has been used by the student population to register for classes. Yet despite this, Brim said some students are still unsure about how to use the system.

“There are students who don’t know how to check appointment dates,” Brim said.

Alicia Deitz, freshman business management major, said she has never had any problems with MyNIU, but she does not use the system often.

“If I learned about it, I’d probably realize how helpful it is so I would actually utilize it,” Deitz said. She also said she is not sure if she will attend the open lab session.

Sophomore psychology major Anthony Perkins said he found MyNIU difficult at first, but he has gotten used to it.

“I’m a little more adjusted to MyNIU now after using it over time, but that’s a given even with something that isn’t set up in the most organized of ways,” Perkins said. “Basically even if something isn’t organized the best of ways, over time you still get used to it.”

Depending on how many students attend the session, Brim said there is the possibility for adding more of them.

“Even if we have two dozen students, that means there are plenty of people who have questions,” Brim said. Those sessions might be held in the dorms, and during “high use periods,” such as registration dates.