Three organizations receive SA approval

By JAMES TSCHIRHART

The Student Association’s meeting on Sunday evening resulted in the approval of two more SA Supreme Court justices and three more student organizations.

Eric Johnson and Paulette Tolene were appointed as the two new SA Supreme Court justices. Johnson had previously been the chief justice of the SA Supreme Court and Tolene once was the Director of Governmental Affairs for SA.

“They’re both very talented and dedicated individuals and I have a great deal of confidence in the experience they bring, having been in SA before, to the supreme court,” said Speaker of the Senate Matthew Venaas.

Adding the two new appointees to the previously announced Aaron Funfsinn, the SA Supreme Court now needs two more justices to meet the necessary number.

Of the three organizations that were approved, two were dance troupes; Latin Fever and Envy. The last group recognized was an anti-war awareness group, Campus Antiwar Network.

Erica Martinez, a sophomore clinical lab forensics major, who formed Latin Fever, said the group is a non-competitive salsa and Latin dance organization.

“I’ve been wanting this for almost a year so I finally got my group together and I feel very good and positive about it,” Martinez said. “I feel like there’s a lot of hip-hop groups on campus so I wanted to do something new.”

The other dance group, Envy, has won various competitions since its formation in the last year. The group was formed and headed by Dana Clark, a junior pre-early childhood development major.

“We needed [SA approval] because it’s a guaranteed place to practice, we can throw our own shows, fundraise on campus and there are a lot of other positives that come with it and God helped us get it,” Clark said.

The third group approved, the Campus Antiwar Network, raises antiwar awareness on campus through functions and fundraisers.

“I think it’s especially good for our group that we’re approved by the SA because with SA approval we can reach a wider range of students on campus to get our message out,” said Mariel Mentink, president of the group and senior graphic communications major.

Editor’s Note: Mariel Martink previously worked as the design editor for the Northern Star.