Student Association members assigned to committees

By JAMES TSCHIRHART

The Student Association met Sunday evening to approve the appointed executive staff and senate standing committees.

Out of the 38 SA senators, 30 attended, including all four executive officers.

Treasurer Patrick Echols and student trustee DuJuan Smith introduced themselves first since they were not at last week’s meeting. Echols went on to reiterate the new SA policy of not allowing student organizations to keep their rollover funds from the previous fiscal year while Smith spoke about the increase in student fees next semester to pay for maintenance costs.

Afterward, each of the executive staff members spoke of their achievements and how they would be of service to the SA.

“This is my third year having served as a senator or speaker and, in my opinion, this is the most qualified executive cabinet that I’ve seen come up for appointment,” said Speaker of the Senate Matthew Venaas. “I think this is going to be a very successful year.”

After all of the executive staff made their statements to the SA, the senate approved of the year’s executive staff.

The SA went on to approve the assignments made to the senate committees. Each senator was assigned to committees based off questionnaires they filled out at their orientation.

“I would be honored to work with any of these people, much less all of them at the same time, and I think this is a great pick,” said Senator Sam Fuqua.

The next step for each committee is to decide a meeting time and place for them to conduct business.

A new student organization, the Flip Mode Dance Troupe was also approved. The group has been around since 2005 and has generated enough interest over the years to be recognized as an official student organization.

Troupe President Darese King, a senior public health major, attended to state the group’s case of requesting to be officially recognized.

“I’m happy about it, and I feel so excited,” King said. “I think now is the time that [the group is] ready to move forward and remain around.”

The SA has yet to meet their full capacity of 40 senators and is still accepting applications at their office in the Campus Life Building from those still looking to become a senator.