New anti-genocide club STAND forming at NIU

By MEGAN GEYER

After taking History of Genocide taught by J.D. Bowers, students Shay Galto, Ryan Beebe, Megan Pitz, Emily Ericson and Brandyn Grove decided to get involved.

They are starting an NIU chapter of the anti-genocide organization STAND (Students Taking Action Now Darfur).

“We’re focused on activism, fundraising and educating people about what they can do to help,” STAND President Shay Galto said.

STAND is a national organization run by students in colleges, high schools and junior highs across the U.S.

“We aren’t pressuring the government enough,” Galto said, citing that increased activism in the U.S. under President Clinton might have stopped the genocide in Rwanda.

Each meeting will focus on a particular genocide. Vice President Ryan Beebe presented an informative powerpoint about the Holocaust at the club’s second meeting.

“I’m against any kind of harm to anybody,” said Sandi Yandle, senior history major, “We should try to help one another not hurt each other.”

STAND plans on going to Cantigny Park in Wheaton, IL to hear Dr. John Barrett of St. John’s University give a presentation of the Nuremburg trials which dealt with the prosecution of several high ranking Nazi officials of WWII.

Other events include watching the movie Dancing Through Death: The Monkey, Magic and Madness of Cambodia and traveling in November to the national STAND conference in Washington D.C..

“We’re excited about the interest [STAND] has generated,” Treasurer Emily Ericson said.

At the second meeting, there were eighteen people present.

Adam Zapfel, junior journalism major, explained his reason for coming to the meeting. “My two friends came here before, and it sounded like a good cause.”

STAND’s next meeting will be held on Nov. 11, from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. in DuSable room 302. There will be a presentation of the Armenian Genocide and a viewing of the genocide documentary film Screamers.

Although STAND is not yet acknowledged as an official NIU organization by the Student Association, they are actively pursuing recognition.