With big plans, CAB president seeks consensus

By MEGAN GEYER

Marlon Haywood is described by those who know him as a ball of energy who appreciates the input of others.

Haywood is the president of CAB, a student organization dedicated to planning cultural, social, educational and entertainment programs for the university, and he has big plans for the organization.

“Marlon is like an energy ball. He’s very creative and has lots of ideas,” said Sumera Singapuri, associate vice president of marketing concepts in CAB.

Haywood hopes to improve the quality of events on campus, and hopes to get more of the student body involved.

“I felt that the events and programs on campus was lacking, and I felt like I could make a big difference,” Haywood said.

Jessica Moquin, associate vice president of fine arts of CAB, thinks highly of Haywood and is confident in his abilities as CAB president.

“He doesn’t try to make everything go his way, but instead lets everyone contribute,” Moquin said.

Haywood said few students know the work that CAB puts in to provide activities and events to the student body.

“A lot of times people don’t see the behind the scenes work that the executive board or the AVP put into the organization and to making programs happen like they do,” Haywood said.

Being involved at NIU has always been important to Haywood, who is also a member of Black Male Initiative, Northern Black Choir and Phi Rho Eta fraternity.

“I always liked playing the drums when I was younger and singing, as far as growing up in a church when I was back home before I came to college, so that’s what attracted to the Northern Black Choir,” Haywood said.

Haywood’s mentor Don Bramlett explained the goals of Black Male Initiative to him, and that lead him to join the organization.

Haywood attributes his passion and drive for the decisions he’s made.

“I am a very approachable person. If anybody saw me just walking across campus, you can always approach me and ask a question about CAB,” Haywood said. “Any way that I feel I can help an individual or an organization, I’m always open to it, because I feel that organization of individual students together is what makes the campus what it is.”