Towers Literary Magazine accepting fiction, non-fiction, poetry and photography submissions

By MICHAEL BROWN

It can be very difficult for writers, artists and photographers to get their work published – unless they’re dedicated NIU students.

Towers Literary Magazine is giving NIU students the opportunity to have their work published in April. Students may submit work in any of the four categories featured in the magazine: fiction, non-fiction, poetry and art/photography. The top submission for each category will be awarded $100, and the top submission for art/photography will also be featured on the magazine cover.

The deadline for submission is midnight Dec. 12, and any current NIU undergraduate, graduate or doctoral student can submit work.

Those who work with Towers feel that it is a good opportunity for NIU students to get recognized for their work.

“It’s an easy way to get their creativity out there to display their talent, which is wonderful because it’s a student publication, and only NIU students can run for it,” said Jessica Wedemeyer, editor in chief of the magazine. “And it’s something students could put on their resume.”

“We also try to have an exhibition at the end of each year, so in addition to being published, the art has the chance to be in an exhibition and students have a chance to read their work at the magazine reception,” said Anthony Coman, one of the editors for the poetry and art/photography sections.

Last year, Lionel Newman, a senior English and psychology double major, submitted “Letters from Thailand,” an epistolary describing his time in Thailand. He won the category for non-fiction and he plans on submitting another work this year. It may have also aided Newman in winning a scholarship with the English department, as he mentioned that he won a category in Towers.

Newman feels students should take advantage of what Towers is offering.

“Towers is a real good opportunity,” Newman said. “It shows you have real experience and that your writing is worth something.”