Election for DeKalb County’s State’s Attorney brings debate to NIU

By JAMES TSCHIRHART

Along with the current race for U.S. President, the DeKalb County State’s Attorney is up for election also.

A question-and-answer debate was hosted by the College of Law and the NIU Bar Association in Swen Parson Hall Wednesday, and welcomed the NIU alumni candidates. Incumbent, Ron Matekaitis, a 1985 graduate, is being challenged this year by the same candidate he opposed in 2004, Clay Campbell, a 1991 graduate.

“Both Mr. Campbell and myself, as alumni of the NIU College of Law, both obviously have an affinity for NIU,” Matekaitis said. “Anything I can ever do for Northern, I’m more than willing to do, and to be able to come on campus and make it easier for students to come ask questions and see candidates for this very important election in person.”

Matekaitis has a record of 23 years in law and eight years as state’s attorney while Campbell has had 17 years of trying cases as a defense lawyer in his private practice in Sycamore.

The debate between the candidates reflected the presidential election as Matekaitis stressed his record and experience, citing many cases as examples and what he is doing now. Campbell advocated change in the system, stressing things that should be done.

“Ron should be commended for his service in office, but I think to get new energy in the office is critical,” Campbell said. “I don’t offer myself as a panacea to the community, but I have ideas, new ideas, to bring change to the community.”

Issues the audience brought forward to the candidates included budget constraints, increasing gang violence, the responsibilities of the state’s attorney, the death penalty, the escalation of sexual offenses at NIU and the relationship between the state’s attorney office and NIU’s College of Law.

“I think both of them did a very good job today and I don’t know who could claim a win because it was a very well-matched debate and it was very fun to watch,” said Chris Sparks, a second year law student.

Brent Eames, the president of the Student Bar Association and third-year law student, thought the debate ran smoothly.

“I thought both candidates had some very good points, and it was a very interesting contrast between experience and change,” Eames said.