Hillel to celebrate Hannukah events

By Michael McVey

While Christians celebrate the birth of Christ, Jewish students will remember an even earlier historical event.

In 166 B.C. Judas Maccabes and his family successfully revolted against foreign occupation and restored Jewish control for over a century.

During the revolt the temple was destroyed and only one candle was left behind, said Jordan Kagan, assistant adviser of Hillel. The candle only had enough oil to last one day, but miraculously shone for eight. This event is celebrated by the lighting of the eight-candle menorah.

The celebration is called Hannukah, and it will take place this year from sunset Dec. 8 until sunset Dec. 16.

Don’t re-enact this in the dorms, warns Kagan. The lighting of any type of candle is forbidden for fire safety reasons. Kagan said Hillel requested that Housing allow a Jewish display alongside the Christmas displays in the residence hall lobbies, but there was no response.

Jack Felver, associate director of Housing, said Hillel would have to go through the hall council and staff of each residence hall for a decision regarding a Hannukah display. He also denied having received any kind of petition from Kagan.

Marla Baker, associate director of Hillel/College Age Youth Services (CAYS) said the Ida Crown Academy, 2828 W. Pratt in Chicago, will host a vacation basketball tournament on Dec. 26. Jewish college students also will be able to participate in the mitzvah corps, which will renovate houses in the Chicago area from Dec. 17 to 26.

Baker also said the Loyola Hillel would host a progressive traditional-style Hannukah dinner on campus Dec. 1 at 4 p.m. followed by a Jewish humor routine by Jeffrey Mallow and music from the Maxwell Street Krezmer Band at the Cafe Continental, 5517 N. Lincoln.

“These events will be a festive celebration,” Baker said. “In an era when campuses focus on divisive issues, Jewish students will have a chance to celebrate together, to socialize and be proud of being Jewish.”

Baker said Hillel is a Jewish student organization dedicated to facilitating Jewish expression among college-aged young adults. Hillel incorporates all branches of Judaism, including Reformed, Orthodox, Conservative, Reconstruction and Secular.

For more information on Hillel, contact Kagan at 748-3300 or Hillel/CAYS at (312)-444-2868.

“These events will be a festive celebration. In an era when campuses focus on divisive issues, Jewish students will have a chance to celebrate together, to socialize and be proud of being Jewish.”