Pritchard speaks to College Republicans, says state politics important

By JAMES TSCHIRHART

With 47 days to the national election, all eyes have been focused beyond Illinois politics.

However, Ill. Representative Bob Pritchard (R-Ill.) of the 70th district stressed the importance of state politics to students last night at the NIU College Republicans meeting.

“We live in a democracy, and a democracy only works when citizens are engaged and they let their representatives know what they think and how they should vote,” Pritchard said.

Pritchard let the students know that within the last two months a campus security bill was passed as a result of the events of Feb. 14. The bill takes what NIU has learned from the tragedy and implements that knowledge to other campuses.

Pritchard also spoke of the upcoming vote for a new constitutional convention, which allows voters to decide if Ill. needs to change the state constitution. The vote for the new constitutional convention will be on Nov. 4. The last change in the state’s constitution occurred in 1970.

“Whether it’s Democrat or Republican, it’s important that students are part of the political process; that you vote, that you share your concerns and your ideas with your representatives,” Pritchard said.

Pritchard also took time to discuss his disappointment in the current Ill. administration. In addition, Pritchard spoke on the large deficit, which is almost $5 billion, underfunded pensions, the state’s tendency to cut corners, this year’s budget, which he described as “the most ludicrous” he’s ever seen, and the “visceral hate between Governor Blagojevich and Attorney General Lisa Madigan.”

The current status of the state’s government led Pritchard to urge students to partake in the political process and apply to work for the House or Senate.

“Right now we have a dysfunctional state legislature and government, and it’s dysfunctional because the citizens haven’t been holding their representatives and senators accountable,” Pritchard said.

Pritchard has been a regular guest of the NIU College Republicans, and members say his visits are always appreciated.

“I thought the meeting was very productive and I thought Bob gave a great speech,” said Jason Untch, a junior finance major.

The President of the College Republicans, Meagan Szydlowski, a junior political science major, felt Pritchard’s presence at the meeting was an important one.

“I think tonight was really great. I mean, a lot of the focus is on the national scene and you don’t realize what happens at the local level,” Szydlowski said.